October 26, 2015
“In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told,“ Romans 4:18
Do you have a situation today that looks hopeless? Impossible? Picture, for a moment Abraham’s situation:
Humanly speaking, it was impossible for Sarah, an elderly woman, to have a baby.
Everything seemed stacked against them; the circumstances in which God had set the scene in which to fulfil His promises looked utterly crazy! This is so often the way it is with God. I believe this is partly so that we know beyond doubt, when that miracle we’ve been waiting for happens, that no one else could have done this but the Lord.
God spoke His promise of hope into a humanly hopeless situation – an elderly, infertile womb, and Abraham received that promise and believed it.
As we know from the next few verses, Abraham did not waver in his faith in God’s promise.
“Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah’s womb. Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God”. Romans 4:19-20
It would be easy to read over this and miss two very important words. Abraham not only believed God, he was fully convinced that God would do what He had promised.
God had said it, and that was enough for Abraham. He fully expected God to come through.
Abraham expected God to fulfill His promise.
When he must have seemed crazy to others, Abraham kept believing God’s promise. And true to the promise he became a father of many nations. (including you and I!)
What are you facing today? This week? This month? However hopeless your situation may seem, you can expect God to fulfil His promises to you. Our God is a God who keeps His word. He never has broken and never will break a promise.
While you’re waiting, here are 5 promises from God’s Word you can hold on to:
* “For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13
* ”it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
* “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
* “nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love”. Romans 8:38
* “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus”. Philippians 4:19